Switching from Telephoto to Prime

Started Jun 27, 2015 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
SimpleUser
SimpleUser Regular Member • Posts: 214
Switching from Telephoto to Prime

I have been using the Sigma 50-500 telephoto for over a year, for wildlife photography.

I only use it as handheld.

I enjoyed this lens very much, but used to take pictures at the 500mm, seldom switching to anything else, since I carry with me another body with a Sigma 18-250 for lowers, insects, reptiles and such.

But now I switched to the Sigma 500mm EX APO DG.

I only had it since Monday, and took it to two wildlife excursions so far.

The results are, after a short learning curve, amazing in terms of image quality.

Not only this lens refocus with high speed, if lost/ switching between subjects, but the sharpness itself is so much better!!

Admittedly, carrying these type of lens on my walkabouts takes some physical attributes, and the willingness to carry on doing so.

The 500mm is somewhat heavier than the 50-500, and I do feel it for now. This has effect when shooting a subject for prolonged periods of time.

Luckily, as war as walkabouts go, I have a waist belt, with two quick-draw camera holsters, and well developed leg muscles. This helps me "take a break" whenever I need without having to put it down somewhere, or having to carry a backpack just to hold it in, whenever I want to rest my hands.

PROS: sharp images, extremely simple (only a ring for autofocus/manual), fast refocus

CONS: weight

SimpleUser's gear list:SimpleUser's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony 2x Teleconverter (2016) +4 more
Sigma 500mm F4.5 EX DG HSM
Telephoto prime lens • Canon EF, Nikon F (FX), Pentax KAF, Sigma SA Bayonet, Sony/Minolta Alpha • 184
Announced: Feb 14, 2005
SimpleUser's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow