Love the camera but not sure about the lenses...yet

Started Jun 18, 2015 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
biggles3 New Member • Posts: 5
Love the camera but not sure about the lenses...yet

I have recently acquired the 645D along with the 45-85 and 80-160 zooms and a 150mm prime.  I am used to using a Contax 645, Mamiya RZ67 and Hasselblad H1D - each using the Hasselblad Ixpress 528C back; my decision to buy the Pentax was to eliminate the need to carry the Imacon back with its trailing cable when shooting outdoors.  The Ixpress has a native 22Mp sensor but this is uprated to 88Mp using the Multi-Shot capability that distinguishes it from the 132C back.

My first impressions of the 645D are very favourable. It is easy to to use handheld and the 40Mp sensor captures a fabulous amount of detail.  Controls are very straightforward and my only regret about the camera's facilities is the absence of live view on the back.  Other than that, it offers all the flexibility I will need for my hobby.  I have the Pentax 360FGZII flash and will also be using my Metz 54 Mz-4 when my SCA adapter arrives.

To date, I have nothing but praise for the camera - its not as intuitive to use as the Contax or the Hasselblad but has a great build quality that inspires confidence; indeed I would rate its construction as more reassuring than the 'Blad's and the weatherproofing is a real boon for my landscape work as it rains a lot here in the UK.

My only gripe - and it is a massive one - is with the lenses.  I flatter myself that after shooting photographs since the late 1960s, I am reasonably competent.  My first test of any lens is to shoot with it wide open as that will really expose any shortcomings.  The lenses for the Contax, Hasselblad and Mamiya have all passed with flying colours.  So far, I have been very disappointed with my Pentax glass - major chroma issues and softness across the frame.  I am going to try them again shooting between f5.6 and f11 to see just how much improvement there is.  Having used a Pentax 6x7 for ages, I know just how good Pentax glass can be - I hope to have more positive things to say about my lenses soon.

Despite the issues with the glassware, I am filled with praise for the camera.  Perhaps I should go fully manual and use my 6x7 lenses on the 645D and see how that works out - if I can find a s/h adapter at a fair price.

biggles3's gear list:biggles3's gear list
Pentax 645D Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm GFX 50S Olympus E-M1 III Olympus 100-400mm F5.0-6.3 IS
Pentax 645D
40 megapixels • 3 screen • Medium format sensor
Announced: Mar 10, 2010
biggles3's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
unrated
Action / sports
mediocre
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
great
Studio / still life
great
= community average
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow