Do you remember Cronic Threads on...

Started Jun 13, 2015 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jamesm007 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,735
Do you remember Cronic Threads on...

Sometimes things happen so slow you don't notice immediately. Only when thinking of the past. Here is some of my thoughts about being here on DPR Pentax SLR Talk.

Do you remember the weekly threads on how to clean the spots people (me) would see in the OVF and or Sensor  These threads were frequent.

Do you remember the number one problem, focus threads? My new lens won't focus right. It has to be the lens because my other lens is fine. My new K10D and DA*16-50mm just won't focus right. My K20D and Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 can't make a sharp pic corner to corner. Those threads were the most common and chronic. The blame went every where.

Lens Buying Addiction (LBA) what happen to that acronym. I see it now and then. Even searching it’s not as common anymore. We read these threads frequently. Someone on this forum won a prize from Pentax for coming up with that phrase (LBA). It was customary to post the first pic from your new lens for all to see. Buying another new lens, you had LBA.

Do you remember the much more frequent threads on people’s lens being de-centered. It seemed much more common five years ago. I know I went through a lot to get my Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 macro to perform as it should years ago. Still works great and worth the effort.

Do you remember the threads on high ISO. We would have threads that hit the 150 limit. Arguments between Nikon D90, D300 and the Pentax K20D or K10D ect. Which had better high iso. We would look at pics and say, see that one has more croma noise (it was like a 5% difference though pixel peeping).

Do you remember the little Pentax K-x? when it came out and its outstanding high ISO performance (for the time). Here is a quote from DPR review of it in 2009 " Surprisingly at high ISOs the camera is a lot better than its bigger brother, the K-7, and is one of the currently best performing APS-C cameras in low light" I think Pentax was trying to make up for the less that great performance of the K-7. It helped end the never ending threads on high ISO performance. Then came the K-5, it nailed the coffin shut and buried it!

Do you remember pics of squirrels, a lot of them :). Hey I was guilty to.

Do you remember threads of my lens is Back Focusing (BF) or Front Focusing (FF), and trying to get into the K10D firmware to adjust it. The when we could with the K20D threads on how to adjust for FF/BF. There are lots of ways because of LV.

I can't remember the last time I cleaned my K-5 sensor or focus screen. I can't remember the last time I had a focusing problem. Even with my K20D.

Please reflect add more, expand on the above. I will stop here. Overall I would have to say Pentax and others seemingly improved greatly the many (little or big) problems that made photography less fun.

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +13 more
Nikon D300 Nikon D90 Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-x
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
JNR
JNR
JNR
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow