Fn Button is the KEY to using any RX Camera

Started Jun 5, 2015 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 13,658
Fn Button is the KEY to using any RX Camera

Fn Button is the KEY to using any RX Camera, rx100m1,2,3; RX1,RX1r; RX10 (IMO!)

Main Menu is too large to navigate to find and change anything

Fn Button Menu is Small and Fast.

I resisted setting Fn menu up, but, you need it, even in Auto, to change a few things or even just one thing frequently.

Fn is a SHORT PRE-SELECTED MENU, you pick what you want (m1: 7 items; m3/RX10: 12)

Using Fn Button minimizes the need to setup (and remember) any of the 3 MR memories.

…………………………………………….

1st. m1: Change ‘Menu Start’ from Top to Previous.

Menu now goes directly to where you were when you got out of it. Good when learning or changing anything. 'Top', default, is the beginning of the huge menu, you lose where you were last. m3, 'Previous' is the default

……………………………………………

2nd: select your Fn Button Items

m1: menu, gear, page 2, Function Button. Press it, you get a page with 7 vertical lines,

Press the Function 1 button: a vertical list of optional settings, use the top and bottom rockers to scroll the list, pick one, press the center button, it becomes the first item in your Fn menu.

Pick the other 6 items you want, ( or other 11 items with m3 and RX10).

Now, press Fn button. Presto, ONLY your 7 or 12 items are there, no confusion or searching is necessary. Simply rock left or right, to the item you want to change, change it, shoot.

…………………………………………..

My m1 7 item Fn Button Menu, and why

1. Image Size.

a. I drop down to 10mp often, to get EOZ extended optical zoom, and to get 'More' CIZ

b. m3, I drop down to 10mp to get SZ, Smart Zoom (extended optical zoom, confusingly renamed by Sony), extends 70mm limit to SZ 98mm, close to 100mm for Portraits. (This is a trial use, results not yet compared)

100mm is considered ideal for portraits, because, among other things, it gets you far enough back, away from your subject, to avoid facial distortions. 70mm, you move in closer to equally fill the frame with your subject.

c. 5mp Small File Sizes: for eBay photos, send to my and other’s cell phone, send as email.

2. Drive Mode. (even though it is the rear left rocker default, which is instant)

a. I change Drive Mode frequently, and I am used to going to the Fn Button Menu for changes

b. Left rocker drive mode has sub-menus you need to enter, options you need to remember even exist. Drive Mode in Fn menu gives a separate icon for each variation, no sub menus.

c. AEL. AEL does not exist unless you change the camera’s default, and can only be assigned to the rear center button or left or rear rockers. (Absurd, to have to lose something, to get AEL) I have already moved Drive Mode to Fn menu, so I use the left rocker.

When you toggle AEL on, a star shows up at the right end of the info line, bottom of the lcd, adjacent to the left rocker, so they are intuitively adjacent.

To get AEL: menu, gear, page 2, 5 line down: Func. of Left Button. Change it to AEL Toggle. Now, when you press the left rocker, AEL is engaged, current exposure is locked, shoot away. Press left rocker again, AEL off.

3. Focus Mode (focus method).

Sony’s focus system is excellent: get right to the 4 choices to use them. Get shots with AF-C (continuous active pre-focus), that might otherwise be blurred or, with DMF or MF get precise focus, say a specific part of a flower, insect, spider web, or guarantee focus on your subject in a normal distance shot. Manual focus, with magnification and focus peaking is superb. Learn it, use it, you will get fast with it.

4. AutoFocus Area Size (size of the area ‘looked at’ by the AF system)

Multi (full frame); Center area (small box, always in the center); or Spot area (very small box, and, where you want the spot to be) I use center as my default, spot when needed, hardly ever use multi because it 'looks at everything' in view and ‘guesses’ what might be your subject.

5. Metering Area Size (size of the area ‘looked at’ for Exposure, always centered).

To ‘ignore’ adjacent areas that are either too bright or too dark. (backlit windows, sunshine, spotlights, large strong shadows)

6. Flash Mode (on/off primarily, advanced flash types are there also)

7. Flash Comp (compensation, flash strength). In addition to flexing and bouncing the flash, this is THE KEY to successfully use the internal flash. Surprisingly, rx flash is strong, you often need to cut it’s strength, then it can give you shots otherwise unachievable due to too long handheld shutter speeds in low light. Or, you can boost it on rare occasions. Note: rx flash needs time to fully recharge between shots to be consistent. It will fire again soon, but, if you have not waited for a full charge, it will not be consistent with the prior strength, that you chose.

In addition, I change the rear right rocker to Flash Comp, so, when I am using the flash, it is faster to change the flash strength shot to shot. Especially when you first use it in a situation, the first few shots are to find the correct level you need, after that, you may change it due to too dark clothing, less light over there, etc. Because it is the flash rocker by default, it is intuitive.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III +1 more
Canon EOS M3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow