Long post...D750 vs D800/810 vs Sony glass

Started Jun 2, 2015 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jgstudios New Member • Posts: 18
Long post...D750 vs D800/810 vs Sony glass

A dilemma is weighing on me. I strongly apologize for my long-windedness here...I've waited. Perhaps not long enough, but I can't wait anymore. I'm just feeling a frustration that Sony hasn't answered yet I've owned an a6000 for a year or more. Can't remember exactly when I got it, but I've seen several small and mid size lenses come out and a few different models of the a7yadda yadda. And I've been shooting as much as I can with this thing. It's a great little camera. So good for travel. But the realization has hit me that I need lenses. And Sony has been too slow to answer, and so has the aftermarket. I want a big tele zoom like Tamron's 150-600, and a big macro. OK, the Sony 90mm macro E mount is just coming out, so that one is in the mix now, but it's still not enough, there's so much more in the Nikon world. Then I see people saying you shouldn't put full frame glass on APS-C sensors. The images won't be all perfect like on the FF. So I started looking at the Sony a7 series. BUT...Then I started seeing things...things about the Nikon D750, and I know there is an abundance of lenses in that world, pretty much anything I desire, it seems so right. The temptation is unsettling, and causing me distress. Also I'm kind of a run and gun shooter. I don't sit and compose the shot. I like to move around, calmly looking and evaluating, and shoot the things that catch my eye and my interest. So I wanted a more powerful body that could give me what I'm after. The a6000 seems a bit slow sometimes, especially in low light. I began to realize I need something faster for low light shots. Not necessarily fast frame rates, but faster focus and quick response at the shutter button. I'm finding I tend to do quite a bit of my shooting after work, and during and after sundown and in darker environments indoors and out. I like to go out very early mornings on weekends. Streets are empty, town is very quiet. It can be a low light time to shoot, especially after a rain, but also a very nice time to shoot stuff. So I thought about the Sony a7s. $2500.00 or so great in low light. Still, the lenses I want aren't there...yet. Drat! Then I keep hearing about the Nikon D750. It keeps coming up. I keep seeing it and hearing about it. Yeah it's BIG compared to the smaller frame Sony offerings, but now I'm starting to think, so what, just get it. It will do the job. Unexpectedly I started researching the D810 and the D800 (because currently there is an ad for a D800 for $1300 in CL, and my gut tells me to jump on it. Things like this don't last long) but I see that there is a lot of talk about how the 36mp sensor will pretty much require the higher end lenses, and without the good glass, the images will show the slop. The good Nikon glass is quite pricey indeed. So that brought up another concern for me. The good glass for Sony doesn't cost as much. The images I see are awesome. So my question is this...How much does the D750 measure up as far as glass requirements to produce great images on the 24mp sensor, vs the 800/810 series 36mp sensor? This is a conversation I have not seen so far out here. I assume some of you will say you must always use the best, and thereby most expensive lenses to optimize the shot, but really, As a Sony user, and given the realities of the 810s sensor, and the 750s sensor, which are made by Sony, and then looking at the cost of glass on the Sony side vs Nikon, is one required to throw so much cash at it,always, in the case of the 750? Can the less pricey Nikon lenses, sigma's, or tamron's do the job as good on the 750? Should I just stop looking in the direction of Nikon, stay in my isolation in the Sony world, with very few lenses and friends so far? I know that the Sony A7II and the A7s will do, but the lenses aren't there yet.  Sony people say, well, you can adapt A-mount glass or Canon glass, but I don't want to “adapt”. That kind of just irritates me, it doesn't sit well. I want the cameras capability to work and I don't want the adapter to hobble the tech that I paid for. With Nikon I don't have to do that, the glass is there. With Sony, all I hear is LE-AE4 adapter blah blah blah. I realized, by the time Sony and the aftermarket comes out with what I want in lenses, I could have blown my wad on a few thousand in Nikon gear and gotten the shots, and my angst will be relieved (or will it?) So getting back to the issue of lenses, Is there the feeling among Nikon owners that the kind of glass that seems to be requisite for the D800/810 body also an important necessity for the 750? Can I spend what I would have on Sony lenses and still get quality images or is the top end glass also required? Once again, my apologies for the length of this post, it's a dilemma and I just want to know so I can move on.

Nikon D750 Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Sony a6000 Sony a7 Sony a7S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow