Sharp corners

Started May 24, 2015 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
wootpile Contributing Member • Posts: 735
Sharp corners

This is one of the better midrange zooms in the consumer/enthusiast class I have ever used including subjective/usage comparison to Nikon 17-55 2.8, Tamron 28-75, Sigma 17-70, Canon 15-85 and Sony 16-70.

The Fuji 18-55 isn't perfect, but the uniform character of sharpness throughout the field of view makes it a lovely lens to use. You will never need to compose so you can crop away space-stretchy edges because this lens doesn't produce any. If corners are important to you, shoot with confidence with this lens.

If it were just a tad sharper in center, it would beat most primes out there. Quite small but very very well built. Bokeh is also very nice considering it is a zoom. Beware of direct sunlight flares. Flare is only weak point as I see it, but often flares can be ok, just keep in mind they will pop up.

Also, the shake reduction seems to work better that Sony's 16-70 (which still has very good oss).

Last but not least - the inner command dial on the lens that lets you set aperture - 'nuff said!

I'm taking away half a star from 5 because it is a bit expensive if you buy it without a kit deal.

If you have a Fuji and wonder wonder what lens to chose for a 1-lens option: this is the one.

Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Zoom lens • Fujifilm X • 16276479
Announced: Sep 6, 2012
wootpile's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow