Sony Star Eater - Real Life Test (kind of night horrors!)

Started May 19, 2015 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Trollmannx Senior Member • Posts: 3,400
Sony Star Eater - Real Life Test (kind of night horrors!)

Performed a real life Sony Star Eater test With my Sony A7. Used a Zeiss 2/100mm lens and took images and used exposure settings directly on the camera and with a timer Remote. Used the Vixen Polarie star tracker to follow the stars.

Others claim that the star eating algorithm is implemented in the entire A7 series.

The nights are quite bright here up north now so I had to use 8 and 15 sec exposures at f/5.6 and ISO 400 to record the stars without burning out the background. The resulting images show that this Star Eating feature is WORSE than I believed at first (another poster getting me into this theme - am very thankful for that).

Long exposures with the camera (up to 30 Seconds):

The images are very sharp and faint stars are visible. This applies to RAW and JPGs.

Long exposures with BULB + a timer remote:

The images are very soft and faint stars dissapear. This applies to RAW and JPGs.

Here are some real life images: please read the captions following each image.

Exposure setting with the camera - no star eating. (Jupiter and stars)

Exposure setting BULB + timer remote - lots of star eating! Same exposure as above!

Exposure setting with the camera - no star eating. (The bright star Arcturus)

Exposure setting BULB + timer remote - lots of star eating! Same exposure as above!

Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow