Crop sensor DSLR just make more and more sense to me than full frame.

Started May 17, 2015 | Discussions thread
T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,546
Re: Crop sensor DSLR just make more and more sense to me than full frame.

drj3 wrote:

bosjohn21 wrote:

the view in the finder is smaller and wait till you want a real 21 mm lens

Why would the view in the view finder have anything to do with Crop Sensors?

From DPR review of the four thirds crop sensor E-M1 and the Olympus 7-14mm f2.8 (14-28 FF equivalent field of view) will be released in the summer so I guess you can have the equivalent of a 21mm or wider lens.

The size of optical viewfinders is roughly proportional to the size of the sensor format. That's why FF DSLRs have much larger viewfinders than APS-C DSLRs. Smaller sensor format, smaller reflex mirror, smaller viewfinder image. At least that's the case with optical viewfinders. That's one big advantage of using a FF DSLR over an APS-C DSLR. You get a bigger viewfinder image because FF is so much bigger. A bigger format means a bigger mirror, hence a bigger viewfinder image.  Viewfinder magnification can lessen the difference in size between APS-C and FF viewfinder.  But it can't eliminate the difference.

You can see in the diagram below the difference in viewfinder size between a FF Canon 1Dx and an APS-C Nikon D7100:

But this is not the case with EVFs. EVFs are not limited to the size of the sensor format. EVF's can be made any size the manufacturer desires, because an EVF does not rely on mirrors to create the viewfinder image. That's why APS-C and m4/3 mirrorless cameras such as the X-T1 and E-M1 can have viewfinders as large as a FF Canon 1Dx!

-- hide signature --

drj3

T3's gear list:T3's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a6000 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
T3
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
T3
(unknown member)
T3
T3
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow