Nikon the first big name to disappear?

Started May 15, 2015 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
antoineb Veteran Member • Posts: 6,625
Nikon the first big name to disappear?

Not sure whether everyone has seen the Nikon FY results.

But basically they are worrying, with DSLR and lens sales continuing to contract, and compacts continuing to collapse.  As for DSLR market, looks like the 20pc per annum trend is continuing, while the 10pc per annum contraction of the lens market is also continuing (both units not value).

What's worse, Nikon have now downgraded their forecasts, with more sales contraction, and more worryingly, margin compression.  And that's with them assuming that DSLR units will see the slow down progressively ease up, to "just" 10pc per annum - though we have no evidence for this.

So now what?  Even with these probably too optimistic forecasts, Nikon look in big trouble.

And what can they do?  I mean if most people, including enthusiast photographers such as myself (easily over 10'000 shots just from my DSLR, plus a lot more from my Smartphone and my pocketable superzoom), are happy either sitting on their existing body+lenses, or perhaps upgrading only their smartphone for better photos, then where will the revenues come from?  And worse, what happens when we have more smartphones with 1" sensors, or those multi-sensor smartphones which will provide higher resolution, and the ability to virtually zoom without losing out on image quality?

And if there is no solution then what's the exit strategy?

Very, very tough times.  Sadly.

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
pgb
(unknown member)
pgb
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow