Is the pana 7-14mm that bad on an oly camera?

Started May 12, 2015 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
CrisPhoto
CrisPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,416
Re: It depends on how you use the lens

Anders W wrote:

CrisPhoto wrote:

I bought a 1A gel filter at BH whhen I was in New York. It was the only cheap filter on stock at that time.

It has a magenta tint instead oft yellow but it works quite nice too. Auto white balance handles the tint perfectly, even when I import the photos into LightRoom. I have the impression that it is not very important which type of UV gel filter is applied ...

Hi Christof,

I very much doubt that a 1A filter works nearly as well as a 2A or 2E. When the purple flare problem with the 7-14/4 on an Oly body first surfaced three years ago (see here) one of the very first things some of us investigated was the effect of UV/Skylight filters. We found no or little impact and therefore turned our attention to other potential causes.

Hi Anders,

I can follow your points but in my case I have to disagree.

The 1A was the only one I could buy at that time. I costs only 20$ and I was ready to throw this filter into the garbage can in case it does not work. But it worked to my own surprise!

I can really assure that my filter is working. It is reducing the color and brightness of the flare nearly completely (similar to the samples you provided). In my case a little bit of purple/blue color remains, I would guess that it reduces flare color about 80 to 90 percent. But anyhow: With this filter the lens flare does no longer look like an alien laser beam, instead the look is similar to other lenses.

To avoid misunderstandings, I went down and grabbed the package from the desk, this is written on the filter I bought: "100 x 100mm, 1AUV, Lee Filters, Polyester Technical Filter".

BH still sells it as "LEE Filters 4x4" UV-1A Skylight Polyester Filter"

I would be ready to take two comparative shots to prove my statement. But as you know it is very difficult to handle the small filter without scratching or touching it. Sorry, the filter will stay on my lens ...

Regards

Christof

-- hide signature --

OM-D + Sam7.5, PL25, O60, O75
P12-35, O75-300

CrisPhoto's gear list:CrisPhoto's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow