The Other Tamron: 16-300 Samples (Rodney Dangerfield Edition)

Started Apr 27, 2015 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rxb dc Senior Member • Posts: 2,100
The Other Tamron: 16-300 Samples (Rodney Dangerfield Edition)

I've been shooting with the Tamron 16-300 for almost 10 months now. This lens has received its share of appreciation for its versatility but occasional criticism, especially from a few here who repeatedly maligned the lens for its problems (without actually posting a single image in most cases) in what almost seemed like a negative-campaign.

My experience has been that it is a really nice lens to carry with you. I've taken it on travel, walking/hiking and for general use. The combination of the wide angle (16 mm on APS-C or about 25mm on Canon) and long (300mm, 480mm equivalent) really does provide a lot of creative freedom. My experience at our local park is indicative - with that one lens, I can grab photographs of birds and a sunset.

It does suffer from CR in high contrast scenarios but nothing that cannot be fixed in post. I did a comparison test a few months back, comparing it to the Canon 10-18, Canon 50 and Tamron 150-600 (at appropriate focal lengths) here 'Tamron 16-300 compared to Canon 10-18, Canon 50 and Tamron 150-600'http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3763737 and the results were pretty decent.

RATING:

• Versatility : 5
  • Travel/Portability: 5
  • Range: 4 (especially like that wide is almost to 25mm)
  • Macro Capability: 4 (just under 1:3 - IQ seems decent)
  • Handling: 4
  • AF: 4.5
  • Image Stabilization: 5
  • Image Quality: 4
  • Chromatic Aberration: 3.5
  • OVERALL SCORE 4

Would I recommend this lens to my friends - YES

Best Features: One lens to take everywhere; opens up creative possibilities (because of instantly available range)

Worst: CR; slow like most zooms; not as sharp as say the Canon 10-18

Anyhow, here are some representative photos that I hope you will enjoy and perhaps help you make a choice. Note that some of the images are focus stacked or multi-image exposures for DR.

Focus stacked. This is the sharpest image - check out the details at 100%.

This is a multi-shot composite made from exposure bracketed shots.

This was under fairly low light conditions. Hand held, with a little support against the car door.

Focus stacked

-- hide signature --

Safety Warning: Bad taste unmitigated by moderate skill

rxb dc's gear list:rxb dc's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +9 more
Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro
Lens • Canon EF-S, Nikon F (DX), Sony/Minolta Alpha • B016
Announced: Feb 6, 2014
rxb dc's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow