A complete disappointment

Started Apr 24, 2015 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
matiasls New Member • Posts: 15
A complete disappointment

I've had this lens for less than 2 years, and until yesterday, it had never given me any problems. It had actually worked quite well.

But when I went out to photograph the Calbuco's eruption, the autofocus started to die on me. At the beginning, it focused for the first 3 or 4 shots, but it gradually started failing to attain focus. I had to switch to manual focusing in order to keep shooting. And now it's just dead, doesn't work at all. I've tried everything, cleaning the connectors, installing the latest firmware for the camera, doing a hard reset on the camera... and nothing. The focusing motor seems to be working (because I can hear the gears turning inside the lens), but it just doesn't seem to be moving anything in there.

Quite frankly, to be my first Nikon gear, it has turned out to be quite a disappointment. I don't know if it has to do with it being made in Thailand or what, but I think this is unacceptable for a company like Nikon. Looks like its back to Canon for me.

matiasls's gear list:matiasls's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Zoom lens • Nikon F (DX) • 2178
Announced: Jan 29, 2008
matiasls's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow