Macbook pro 2011 repair program, any good?

Started Apr 15, 2015 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chris Mak Senior Member • Posts: 1,822
Macbook pro 2011 repair program, any good?

I was wondering, does anyone have experience with the replacement program regarding the Macbook pro 2011, where the logic board is swapped because the dedicated graphic chip is failing and crashing the machine?

I have a Macbook pro early 2011, that I bought four years ago in the belief that the Apple Macbook pro was the way to go if you want a high performing reliable laptop. However I have learned that Apple likes to push the limits on their laptops by making them as slim and high performing as possible, but is not enough concerned with the dramatic failure rates early in their life span due to pushing not so high quality components beyond their limits, along with lacking design and manufacturing standards. Mine gave up recently, even though I took all measures I could from the beginning to avoid excessive heating up of the machine, and has gone to service for the logic board swapping.

I honestly wonder if their is much use in this though, as Apple will be circulating refurbished motherboards around, instead of offering a long term real solution.

Any thoughts on how long it will run on a refurbished logic board? Any experience with the repair program?

I no longer dare to rely on this Macbook pro for serious computing and have already ordered a silent PC to switch back to Windows for a better price/reliabilty rate, but I would still like the laptop to have some lifespan left. Also, but this of course has been discussed to death on the internet, I feel Apple should look for real solutions in cases like this, instead of recycling refurbished motherboards when they know these will also fail on a fairly short term. The stories of people going through multiple logic boards in a short time are a bit dubious and indicate that Apple takes its chances with unreliable repair actions on these logic boards.

Chris

Chris Mak's gear list:Chris Mak's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony Alpha a7R II Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/25 Pentax HD DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW Zeiss Loxia 35
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow