Pacsafe Camsafe Z14 sling bag review

Started Apr 14, 2015 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AFishEye Regular Member • Posts: 413
Pacsafe Camsafe Z14 sling bag review

A sling bag is my everyday go to camera bag. This includes overseas trips that do not require the use of telephotos.

Extensive travels usually involve visiting major metropolitan areas overseas, some are known to be thieves' heaven. Although I have been very fortunate so far, security was a consideration when I was looking for a new sling bag.

I ran into the Pacsafe Camsafe Z14 recently and was intrigued by the safety features available in the bag:

1. There is a metal mesh incorporated into the fabric on the pockets and the bottom making them slash resistant.

2. The main compartment zippers can be locked into an anchor lock

3. Other zipper pullers can be secured to a hook

4. Other security features such as RFID secured pocket for your passport and some credit cards, and a security buckle are also available

5. Stainless steel wires integrated into the strap to prevent slashing

The fabric is thick canvas and the overall craftsmanship appears to be outstanding (I will follow up if the bag will not hold up to)

Here is what’s in the main compartment:

1. A6000+16-70

2. NEX 6+10-18

3. FE 70-200 f4

4. HVL 43 M

5. iPad (standard or mini)

a6000+16-70, NEX 6+10-18, FE 70-200 f4, HVL 43 M, iPad

This is somewhat of a faux arrangement as I usually use the space where the 70-200 is positioned to carry the GoPro Hero4 Black mounted to a Feiyu G4 gimbal. Since I don’t think too many readers care for that, I placed the 70-200 to show alternative arrangement.

70-200 f4 replaced with GoPro Hero4 Black mounted to a Feiyu G4 gimbal

Additional compartment next to the main one

Can accommodate a small laptop

Main compartment zippers can be secured into an anchor lock

Other zippers can be secured into a hook

Well padded shoulder strap. Stainless steel wires running through the black strap

Front pockets and base have metal mesh incorporated into the fabric to prevent slash and steal

Front view

Back view

Side view showing tripod carrying area

Pros:

1. I love the look of the bag

2. Seems to be of outstanding quality

3. Many security features

4. Very comfortable, well-padded shoulder strap

5. Generous pockets for multiple accessories

Cons:

1. No rain cover. Not a big deal for me: All bags do well in a drizzle. If its pouring cats and dogs for an extended period of time, your standard rain covers may not suffice anyway as they all cover only part of the bag. A trash bag is the ultimate solution for extreme situations.

2. When the zippers are not engaged into the security features, the bag can be somewhat noisy

3. Pricey

Bottom line: highly recommended

As I did with the Tenba review, I will provide a follow up after completing a few trips with this bag.

AFishEye's gear list:AFishEye's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a6300 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-200 F4 +6 more
AFishEye's score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow