D810 & 24-70mm In Dx Crop Mode?

Started Apr 9, 2015 | Questions thread
BobWorrell
BobWorrell Senior Member • Posts: 2,751
Re: D810 & 24-70mm In Dx Crop Mode?

Robin Casady wrote:

Toy Robot wrote:

ormdig wrote:

The lens if not a flat field lens, it has field curvature which shows up when shooting a flat subject at close distances. A macro lens either 40mm or 60mm would probably serve you better,

This would be ideal except that I am photographing objects that range from a few inches to several feet (8'+) in size. I already have two positions (ball heads) at different heights to accommodate and still occasionally zoom out to 24mm with the camera mounted 7' high which is the top position. However, the D810 has a lot of pixels to play with so maybe this could work. Thanks.

Nikon used to make a AF Micro-Nikkor 70-180mm 4.5-5.6D ED lens. I picked up one in 2005 just before they were discontinued. You might be able to find one used.

I use ZereneStacker on a Mac for focus stacking. Some people like HeliconFocus. However, this would slow you processing down considerably. So probably not the best solution for high volume work.

The shot below was done with the Micro-Nikkor 70-180mm. It is a focus stack of 42 images. Shooting for the stack was automated by a CamRanger. NEFs were processed in Lightroom 5 using Auto Sync and exported as TIFFs. The TIFFs were loaded into ZereneStacker and merged. Not a quick process.

Beautiful

BobWorrell's gear list:BobWorrell's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow