How Many Folk Here Use Primes?

Started Mar 24, 2015 | Discussions thread
Lcameron1951 Senior Member • Posts: 7,032
Re: Not about tech quality or size/weight to me...

Ray Sachs wrote:

Lcameron1951 wrote:

Nicely put. It's fascinating to learn how other people work. Somehow we all take different directions yet end up at the same place. I have the opposite problem as you - if have a 20 in my hands, it's too easy to look for only 20 images. Sometimes I keep everything in the bag and just look. I pull out the lens I need, shoot, then stuff it all back in the bag.

When I have a specific prime mounted, assuming it's one I'm comfortable with (20, 24, 28 mostly - still sort of OK with 35-40), I just start seeing images in that focal length. They just pop into my head. It's not like I'm looking for them, but when I'm constrained to a FOV I know intimately, I just see them - they appear! For some reason, when I expand the possibilities, there are empirically more images available to me at any given time, but damned if I can find them! I consider it a personal limitation rather than a strength, but I know from 40+ years of experience that it's how I work. I'm personally just a better image maker with primes.

I can shoot candids with primes or zooms - sometimes I'll use an 85 or 105 prime, but I'm just as happy with a zoom like the 24-120 that covers the same territory. And, similarly, I shoot events with zooms perfectly well, but I don't shoot more than the very occasional event. So limited zoom opportunities for me.

Whatever works. Happy shooting.

Indeed - we all have to find what works for us...

Happy shooting back at you.

-Ray
--------------------------------------
We judge photographers by the photographs we see. We judge cameras by the photographs we miss - Haim Zamir
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

Ray,

Here I am extolling the virtues of zooms while just yesterday I bought a third 105!!!  Physician, heal thyself!

Larry

Lcameron1951's gear list:Lcameron1951's gear list
Nikon Df
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow