How Many Folk Here Use Primes?

Started Mar 24, 2015 | Discussions thread
buybuybuy Senior Member • Posts: 5,388
Re: I do, sometimes

Joesiv wrote:

Full Frame wrote:

Joesiv wrote:

Full Frame wrote:

As most people feel, using a zoom can tend to make you lazy balancing composition and perspective distortion.

honestly don't mean to offend you but; as a photographer you are a master of your trade but as person we are defined by our words. As such I don't understand why people have to elevate themselves by equating using zooms to being lazy.

I tink PHXAZCRAIG was pretty careful in how he worded it. It "can tend to make you lazy", and it's true, it doesn't mean people using zooms are lazy, it's just that if you're not using a zoom, you have to not be lazy to get the shot.

Sure in some circumstances, perhaps the one you were shooting, you weren't permitted to move around, so a zoom was handy (or you could have just used a different prime perhaps?), but in a lot of circumstances, if you don't have the option to zoom, you need to think differently to make the shot work.

Sure you could do the exact same photography with a zoom as you do a prime (minus the depth of field/exposure differences), but the limitation, can help lead a photographer down the path of movement.

But to get the depth of field/exposure differences with f1.4 quality lenses carry a hefty price tag. So given the choice would you rather use a Nikon 24-70 ao the nikon 50mm 1.4G lens

Indeed, the 1.4 lens' can get pricey (outside of the 50mm). Sometimes I rent the 24, it's lovely.

some people would argue that the 70-200 and 7-14 also carry hefty price tags too.

-- hide signature --

Cloverdale, B.C., Canada

I've no comment on population-level generalizations about whether a zoom raises the "activation energy" or inertia required to think differently, but in my experience, zooms have been especially useful in precisely those circumstances that permit movement relative to the subject.

With a zoom, the photographer is well-poised to evaluate in real-time the effects of differential subject-background relationships on the compositional aesthetic. To the neophyte, I would imagine that the ability to make concrete rather abstract theory (e.g., longer focal length to raise the stature of the background) would be quite useful--as it has proven to be in my case.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow