How Many Folk Here Use Primes?

Started Mar 24, 2015 | Discussions thread
Matsu Senior Member • Posts: 2,128
Convenience vs insurance vs characteristics

If I could sum up the difference between slow zooms, fast zooms, and primes, that's the way I'd characterize them, not as better or worse. F/4 zooms provide a lot of focal range options in one lens. F/2.8 zooms typically provide a safety net when you simply can't afford to miss - they give just enough range in a unit that focuses faster and more accurately than any prime, in just about any condition. No prime that I've used comes anywhere near the focus speed of the pro zooms from Nikon or Canon, especially when the light gets tricky - either in strongly backlit or in low light/low contrast situations. The primes however, often have their own unique look in certain situations. Whether it's their defocus control, macro abilities, wide apertures, particular drawing style. Often very pleasing, and pleasantly often at a fairly reasonable price considering what they can achieve. There are expensive options as well - some that tease the limits of optical perfection - but all of them have character. We're lucky to be able to choose something for almost any budget and occasion.

Matsu's gear list:Matsu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow