Started Mar 24, 2015 | Discussions thread
StanyBuyle
StanyBuyle Senior Member • Posts: 1,058
Re: Why?

John Cote wrote:

StanyBuyle wrote:

IQ, speed, size and weight.

Stany,

Do you really think that the prime lenses give you appreciably better image quality than the top quality zooms? I am not saying that perhaps you could not measure some slight quality difference but I mean appreciably by anybody looking at your final output in print or on the web?

Also, as far as speed is concerned, how do you mean? Do you mean lens aperture or something else...such as speed of acquiring the subject or whatever?

aperture. I have 20, 28, 50(1.4) and 85mm primes(F1.8) and they are great, also wide open. The 20mm and 85 mm are my favourites. One day I might the 24 mm F1.4, it's a pity it's that expensive.

Less distortion than zooms, with exception of the prehistoric 28-105, which is distortion free but not very sharp (but I love that lens, also on my D810)...

The Nikon 24-70 (had, sold) isn't so special at 24 mm and lacks VR... The tamron 24-70 VC is fine, but has terrible distortion at 24mm. Sold this one as well...

Last but not least I like weight and compactness of primes ...

Just asking. I don't do much street or landscape/cityscape.

-- hide signature --

JohnCote
www.johncotephotography.com
'Cameras are just cr@p we have to lug around because there is no direct brain to PhotoShop connection...yet!'

-- hide signature --

Kindest regards,
Stany
Registered on Dpreview since 2003, nov 8th as stany buyle. Later as photoforfun and nikonuserinfo. Troubles with old email addresses to log in.

StanyBuyle's gear list:StanyBuyle's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D2X +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow