f/2.8, with a limited zoom? or f/3.5-4.5 with a versatile range?

Started Mar 19, 2015 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MEscoPhotog Junior Member • Posts: 38
f/2.8, with a limited zoom? or f/3.5-4.5 with a versatile range?

Hello DPReview. I have a question for a possible purchase.

I have these choices in mind, but i don't know if i should go for quality of glass, and a lack of versatility, or give up little quality for added versatility with focal length.

I want a general zoom and an ultra wide lens. these are my choices.

1: Nikon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 VR, and a Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5

OR

2: Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8, and a Rokinon 14mm f/2.8

NOTE: I can't have both 24-70 tamron, and 18-35 nikon because of budget.

My main question is, Will 2.8 give me an added bokeh that is crazily better than 4.5? I don't care about light, and brightness because i shoot RAW. but background blur, is it a significant difference in photos? will 4.5 look like a kit lens photo?

I want the ultra wide lens for Street Photography, And the Standard zoom for general events.

1:Should I go for a 14mm fixed focal length for a street photography lens, or should I give it up for a zoom range to 35mm, and get the 18-35 and loose 2.8, and a the 4mm i wouldve had with the 14??

2:Or should I Give up the zoom on an 18-35, get 14mm, learn to live with ONLY one ultra wide focal length, but afford a Tamron 24-70 2.8?

My Main worry is that 4.5 will make my images look like a kit lens took them, because of the aperture, if i get the 18-35, and the 24-85.

but on the other hand Im okay with the tamron 24-70, but worried 14mm won't be enough versatility for street photography because I can't zoom in or out.

whats the best choice?

THANKS!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow