Best travel kit for Nikon FX for Europe photo trip? Or something else?

Started Mar 18, 2015 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ozonation Contributing Member • Posts: 752
Best travel kit for Nikon FX for Europe photo trip? Or something else?

I've been thinking about this endlessly, and have posted in other forums to see if I have other alternatives.

What? Photo trip This is not a work trip, nor vacation, but a trip for taking photos. Architecture, villages, festivals, classic Europe style settings, people, street photos, etc.

When? Summer 2015. About 9 days or so.

Where? French countryside and Paris. We will have a home base of sorts during the first half of the trip, so I don't have to haul everything everywhere (I think).

I frankly don't know what to bring. I consider myself fortunate to have the D3s, D800, 14-24, 23-70, and 70-200, 85 f1.8, 105 f3 macro, 50 f1.4D. So, I've got pretty much all I need. I was originally planning to bring the D800. However, it's pretty bulky and heavy, and to be honest, I don't use it as much as I thought I would in my regular shooting: my focus is mostly sports/action/events with the D3s. To be honest, I might sell the D800 regardless.

This is the second time this trip is running. Last year, some of the photographers took the "holy trinity" 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 and FX bodies. At least one person had had enough of all the weight by the end of the trip, and many were seriously looking into Olympus for the lighter m4/3 bodies and lens.

I am seriously considering m4/3 system, Fuji, etc., all of which I have flirted with before. I no longer have any DX bodies, and I've sold off most of my other cameras some time ago.

I've been to Europe a number of times, but not for photography. I'm trying to balance weight vs photo quality. I like optical view finders, so I considered the Fuji XPro1. I like convenience, so I'm looking at the new Olympus EM5 II, which offers enough for what I think I need most of the time, but the high res composite for the occasion that I need it.

But... as has been pointed out, since this is a photo trip, does it not make sense to bring the best gear possible? Hey, my D800 is pretty good! Most going will bring an FX (or APS) body, 3 to 4 zoom and prime lens, and a second, smaller body or mirrorless system for street shooting. If I go with the D800, I'd consider investing in a more versatile lens, such as the 24-140 f4.

1. Have others done this sort of trip?
  2. If so, what did you bring? Do you wish you had brought more, or brought less?
  3. What lens did you use, or wish you had?
  4. Anything you did not use, but had brought along?
  5. Anybody get a mirrorless system or something else (XPro1?) and find it more or less useful than the FX system?
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D3S Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow