The most important lesson you've learned as a photographer?

Started Mar 16, 2015 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ElviraGrey Regular Member • Posts: 402
The most important lesson you've learned as a photographer?

When I first learned about post processing and the existence of raw files, I went a little nuts. I was so awestruck by the amount of detail you could recover vs what you could do with jpeg's that I decided there was no need for me to ever worry about getting things right in camera.

Is my landscape severely under/over exposed? No problem, I'll just recover the details later in post or use hdr to fix the issue. (I kinda hate hdr nowadays lol) Does my subject look unflattering due to harsh shadows created by unflattering lighting? No problem, I'll just make them look pretty in post. Is my photo poorly composed due to little or no forethought on composition? No problem, I'll just straighten and crop it in post.

Anyway, this just scratches the surface of all the issues I had back when I had the mentality that everything could be fixed in post if I shoot in raw. These days, I am all about getting it right in camera because there is absolutely no substitute for good lighting and getting it right the first time around. That's why I shoot both jpeg and raw. Generally, if the jpeg looks good enough then I know I can produce something decent and more to my taste with the raw file. OTOH, if the jpeg looks like crap, then it's unlikely that the raw file will look much better even with all the post processing in the world.

What's the most important lesson that you have learned since you've become interested in photography?

ElviraGrey's gear list:ElviraGrey's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM Adobe Photoshop CS6 +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Aur
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow