16-35 f/4L IS vs 24-70 f/2.8L IS II For street/architectural/travel [San Francisco]

Started Mar 11, 2015 | Discussions thread
victorian squid
victorian squid Veteran Member • Posts: 3,391
Re: I would suggest to have both.

hotdog321 wrote:

Dan_168 wrote:

mrmjs wrote:

I am going to San Francisco soonish and was wondering about the 16-35 f/4. I currently own the 24-70 f/2.8L II with the 6D. For street/architectural/travel is the extra 8mm I gain from the 16-35 worth the $1100 price tag?

Both 16-35 and 24-70 can be equally handy, I would have both. But then it all depends on your personal style too, I found some place really demand a wider lens and some I think tele photo works better.

Here is few sample shots of some popular spots, none of them are from either 16-35 or 24-70, I mainly shoot with primes but those includes some from 13mm all the way to 200mm. This city have quite a bit to see, so I won't say a certain FL is more useful than the other Fl, again, it also depends on your shooting style, some people just like Wide and some don't, some really like telephoto, myself have my own preference too and 14mm to 35MM range is by far the most used range, but I always have 50mm and 70-200 almost everywhere I go, whether is an hour walk around town or a 10 miles hike, i just don't know what I am going to run into next, especially when I in a area I am not familiar with.

Really gorgeous images! And I agree with your post. When I'm traveling, I like to carry the 16-35mm and 70-200mm for the focal length extremes. Sometimes include a 2X in the mix.

Great shots!

My old stomping grounds up at Fort Cronkite. I used to go up there in the early 70's when you could go through all the underground tunnels and bunkers and there wasn't another soul up there. I wish I had a camera and lights back then.

Catching Fireworks is a pretty rare event too, talk about timing. Usually it's glowing fog!

victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +37 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow