20mm f/1.8G - Overhyped and really not that good

Started Mar 8, 2015 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
surrephoto Regular Member • Posts: 290
20mm f/1.8G - Overhyped and really not that good

I have owned this lens for a few months.

Contrary to popular belief, it is simply not that good. Good enough, but not good enough for pros, imho.

Coma in the edges at f/1.8 makes it useless for astro (and btw I don't shoot astro).

Inconsistent autofocus in warm light, or any type of light that induces chromatic abberation (and yes I have done micro-adjustment, and I consider myself a self-learnt expert at MA techniques).

More inconsistent than most other lenses.

Lower contrast than 14-24mm at f/2.8.

Strange field curvature, probably due to the large aperture.

This lens is basically even harder to use than the 58mm f/1.4G, not very sharp but has better than expected AF in sucky lighting. Due to the low contrast of the 20G, it focusing in backlit situations are a disaster, often it would be the background or the edges of someones head and result in more than enough backfocusing to kill a shot.

History has thus proven that it is very difficult to make a good 20mm lens at f1.8. Seems that physics do play a role in lens design, remember that douchebag 20mm sigma?

My advice to all, shoot it using live-view focus, or just buy the 24G lah. (Sorry I must return to my singaporean-ness).

P.S. All things aside, it is still an interesting lens for photojournalism & pre-wedding photography, if you can live with the quirks.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
xtm
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow