It it time to switch to Nikon?

Started Mar 6, 2015 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Eran Kutner Junior Member • Posts: 49
It it time to switch to Nikon?

I've been using the Canon system for years, starting with the 20D and going through 50D, 7D and now I'm using the 5DmkIII. I also own quite a lot of EF lenses, flashes etc.

I'm now eying the new 100-400 mk II to replace my older 100-400L however I don't know if spending more money and increasing my investment in the Canon system is the right thing to do. As much as I love Canon there is always something about each Camera I owned that droveĀ  my crazy. With the older models it was the auto focus, with the new ones it's the noise levels. I switched from crop to full frame just because of that reason and was very disappointed to discover that even the 5DmkIII has terrible noise levels in dark areas at ISO 100, not to mention the lack of popup flash

It seems that Canon sensor technology is just not in par with the Sony sensors used by Nikon. I think the latest 5Ds models, why else create a sensor with 50MP and noise levels of the mk II? The way I see it Canon can't compete on the noise and dynamic range so it did the only thing it could and increased the pixel count.

The Nikon D810 is very close to my dream camera, high dynamic range, low noise, no AA filter, built-in flash, and I could go on. Note that I'm not including the 36MP as an advantage because I'm mostly shooting hand held and I'm concerned the vibration may cancel out the extra pixel count.

I'm sure I'm not the only Canonist to be thinking if it's time to cut my loses and switch to the other camp and I'm curious to hear if others have made the switch and what they like and don't like about the Nikon system. I'm also curious to hear about people who decided to stay with Canon despite its shortcomings and what are their reasons, except for the obvious economic reason of loosing the investment in the Canon equipment.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Eran
---------------------
http://photos.kutner.org

Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 7D Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow