D600 upgrade path... to D750 or sell 85mm 1.4g for D810?

Started Mar 5, 2015 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Noxenal New Member • Posts: 7
D600 upgrade path... to D750 or sell 85mm 1.4g for D810?

Hi all, I have been using a D600 for close to two years now. As you all know, this camera is fantastic coming from a D7000 prior with excellent DR that is makes it such a brilliant camera. That said, I am extremely leaning to getting a better camera with better AF. Its not that the D600 AF isn't capable, it just isn't good at locking on things quickly when you need it and I miss shots with quick moving stuff (e.g. kids or events where people are moving forward). I would like a camera with better AF, one that can focus better than the D600 and finally be the perfect camera in the long run.

Hence, I'm looking at the D750 and D810 as possible upgrade paths. The D750 seems like to be a marginal upgrade tbh, im looking at it for the low light AF. I can also look at the D810, for it will give me more than what the D750 will be as a upgrade for its pro features and is technically more future proof, although i don't really know if I really need these features. (It is nice to have afterall)

I currently have three lenses - the Nikon 24-70, Sigma 35mm 1.4 and Nikon 85mm 1.4g. For a good amount of time I shot with the 24-70 solely, before getting my 85 and 35 primes after some time. Being a student, my income is kinda tight and I am covering events on a adhoc basis (both work and external).

While I really like the 85mm as a portrait lens, that's what I find it solely is - just a portrait lens. I find it hard to integrate it to when I cover events. I also find it hard to use it as the razor thin DOF of 85mm gives it a struggle on the AF module of D600 which leads to many misses after many tries, though when it works it is brilliant. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm looking to see that if I upgrade to D750, its more capable AF will make my experience with 85mm be better and that i will use it more often (which might or might not be the case).

So I see my upgrade path in two ways now:
1) Get D750, keep current setup of lens
2) Sell 85mm 1.4g to fund and get D810, while resorting to getting a 2ns hand 85mm 1.8g as a replacement OR rent a 1.4g whenever applicable for events

I would like to hear about you guys experience with either cameras and your upgrade paths, etc and how and what you got from it. And also, what you would do in my situation and your opinions on either.

Thank you for reading!

Nikon D600 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow