E-M1 transformed by the new C-AF

Started Feb 27, 2015 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DonParrot Veteran Member • Posts: 4,967
E-M1 transformed by the new C-AF

Well, yesterday and the day before I finally had the chance of taking my E-M1 through it's paces with the new Phase detection based 10FPS C-AF. And I can tell you - this camera now is another beast. While it's C-AF performance was solid, before the formware update, but not exactly stellar - that's why I purchased the GH4 to up the ante in the action area - I'm virtually over the moon sonce my outings with the new C-AF.
The only problem: since you don't have live view, things start to get somewhat difficult when your sibjects makes sudden direction changes. Met a bloke with a model helicopter and asked him to do some sudden moves and you quicjky get lost. The subject moves, you lose it, overreact - and that was that.
So let me tell you something: As soon as I've got my EE-1 Dot Sight, I'm ready to accept shootout challenge of anything up to 7D MKII and NX1. 
Eat my dust!

The two following bursts are complete, with not a single pic having been taken out.
I think the leeper rate is more than immpressive and I'm convinced that theleeper rate with the 40-150 would have been 100 percent had I enabled AF lock.

Please note that this loooong first burst was shot in difficult light conditions with the m Zuiko 75-300.
9-field block, AF lock low, 10 FPS, release priority.

And just as impressive as the C-AF performance itself is the effortlessness great results can be achieved with, now. Previously you had to be really focused to get a proper burst but now, you just stand there, point the camera at your subject, wait for the green box and happily shoot away. That's how I shot the following burst. Just to demonstrate that it's possible. I am just overwhelmed.

40-150 Pro, 9-box field, release priority, AF lock disabled (shot in L before and fogot to enable it for H but other than with the 75-300 and the ZD 50-200 SWD, this seems to of minor importance when shooting wizh the 40-150 Pro), 10 FPS.

-- hide signature --

I wish I was an OLYgarch

DonParrot's gear list:DonParrot's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +13 more
Canon EOS 7D Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Samsung NX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
P S
(unknown member)
P S
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
P S
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow