14mm or wait for the 16mm?

Started Feb 26, 2015 | Questions thread
deednets Forum Pro • Posts: 11,030
Re: 14mm or wait for the 16mm?

ryan2007 wrote:

Davidsu wrote:

ryan2007 wrote:

Davidsu wrote:

I'm debating buying the 14mm f2.8, which has gotten very solid reviews and all the pictures I've seen from this lens are gorgeous. However, I'm hesitating to buy with the new 16mm f1.4 hopefully coming out soon. Does anyone have experience with a focal length similar to the 16mm? Other than the faster aperture, what would be the benefit to a lens like this? The lens would be used for lots of landscapes/architecture/some street photography.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

What camera system are you using now? If Fuji what lens or lenses do you have. Are you using a point and shoot camera and are new to fuji?

depending you may already know the answer without you knowing you do.

I use an x-t1 and I have the XF 56mm, 23mm, and 18-135mm

The difference between the 16 mm and 18 mm focal length you have in the 18-135 is minor.

The 14 mm focal length or the 10-24 would be a great compliment to the 18-135.

You may not need your 23 mm prime for sake of focal length overlap.

I assume the 16 mm like all other primes will not have OIS. The 10-24 does.

How often do you need 1.4 with your 23 mm? If the answer is a lot then get a prime lens. If not the 10-24 is a very nice lens.

Again, look wise the 16 mm is a hair wider but 14 mm will be more noticeable.

Oh dear ... the difference between 16 and 18 is minor whereas the 14 is only "a hair" wider than the 16??

I am sure there will be some disagreement as the statements - if you wanted to make this a case - should be the other way round! The viewing angle changes faster with every millimeter towards the wider end.

In the analogue days there were a lot of people who had the 24 and the 28 mm lenses and the difference was never really considered "minor" but you have 10.000 posts under your belt you possibly know that?

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow