4K video editing software

Started Feb 21, 2015 | Discussions thread
AFishEye Regular Member • Posts: 413
Re: Sony Vegas Pro 13 vs EDIUS 7

deednets wrote:

AFishEye wrote:

Markr041 wrote:

Not very different from the very expensive Sony Vegas Pro (which I also use). It is not dumbed down or limited

While I do agree that movie studio platinum is an exceptional (!!!!!) value for the money and that it appears that the render engine and other basic editing functions are identical to Vegas Pro, they are very different products.

I outgrew Movie Platinum within less than a month; it cannot do compositing, envelopes (video or audio), and the list goes on and on. What seems to be unnecessary bells and whistles at the begining turns into much needed tools once you go beyond the basics of stitching a few events together and putting a title on top.

I am a LR5 and CS6 user and would have naturally chosen Premier if it was not subscription based. This is why I looked elsewhere. Also, Vegas Pro comes with a lot of free and useful third party plug ins (purchsed separately, they are very expensive).

The only thing I don't like about Vegas Pro is the inability to work with/import LUTs (I've read that you can use LUT Buddy but nowadays it appears to be a part of an expensive third party plug in). Using LUTs is a popular method to significantly cut down on your color grading time. Once you build your own grading profiles, it becomes less of an issue.

I've successfully used Vegas Pro for 4K editing and rendering and highly recommend it. It is a powerful pro-level editing software which is easy to learn and master.

Had a closer look at EDIUS 7 an incredibly package, more expensive than some other packages, but, man what piece of software??

Have you had a play with that on your travels?

Deed

I didn't look at the EDIUS 7 so I cannot provide any meaningful input as to the comparison between the two. At the time, I was looking for household names for video editing with a lot of accessible tutorials, good users forums, good documentation, and availability of third party plugins, and narrowed it down to Vegas and DaVinci. This, of course, dose not mean that EDIUS is not an outstanding option.

BTW, Vegas Pro 13 is not exactly cheap

AFishEye's gear list:AFishEye's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a6300 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-200 F4 +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow