Death Ray Ultimate Macro V2.1 Photos (18 photos)

Started Feb 9, 2015 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 38,917
Death Ray Ultimate Macro V2.1 Photos (18 photos)

Many of you will remember this recent post

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55171762

Well I've made some improvements but its not quite complete yet

- I got a new power supply the can handle the load required at 30V with push button adjustable voltage and current, I also made a quick access project box that fits the unit while allowing its heat sink to remain mostly outside the box

- I increased the diameter of the main unit where the lights are attached from 77mm to 105mm and moved it forward on the rig for easier access to the lenses aperture ring

- I changed from the 40mm lens to a longer lens in order to allow for a longer working distance, this change isn't complete, The plan is to use a Rodenstock Rodagon 80mm F4.0 however its still on route so i used a Rodenstock Rogonar-S 75mm F4.5

- I created extension wires from the control box to the lights as I'm using a longer focal length and therefore extension tubes to get the magnification i desire

*I'll be posting a more complete review of the rig soon when the new lens comes in and i get a chance to use it.

This is really only the second outing with the rig in this general design and I'm still working out the kinks and getting used to it. It may not be too heavy compared to many of my larger lenses however the need to hold it very steady at high magnification certainly did a number on my arm muscles.

Many people who i met in person didn't get a good idea of the size of the unit from the photos previously posted so i had a friend take some photos of me using the rig for a better idea of how "small" it actually is, I forgot to hire a model for this part so go easy on me

Now for some examples...

These first 3 were stacked photos shot at 1:1 magnification, the first of which was just 7 photos the other 2 had more than 20 photos (oh and you may want sun glasses for the yellow photos)

These next 6 photos are taken at 2:1 magnification

a couple of the reflections of the lights looks like a smiley face

The final 7 photos were taken at 1:1 magnification

Probably my favourite photo of the outing

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Nikon 1 V2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow