No image on memory card error

Started Jan 30, 2015 | Questions thread
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 16,033
Re: No image on memory card error

Scottelly wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

Scottelly wrote:

The software glitches can be a result of a power surge, which could be related to the battery, the temperature of the camera, the humidity level, or some other issue, like corrosion in a circuit.

Scot, all of the above seems to be pure supposition.

What is the nature of this "power surge"? How does a battery provide a power surge from it's steady voltage? How does camera temperature causing a "power surge", igualmente humidity level?

and "corrosion in a circuit" !?

Sorry to get pedantic, but that paragraph should not stand unchallenged. Hopefully you have a link or two - like to an IEEE paper about power surges and their causes, for example . .

I am not a scientist. I am a witch doctor.

The fact is Ted that there ARE power surges in electronic equipment, whether you attribute it to battery power levels or something else.

I'll ask again - what is a "power surge"?

I visualize electricity flowing in a computerized device somewhat the way water flows in the plumbing system of a house or large, complex, apartment building. Do you know much about that?

I know a lot about the hydraulic analogy. How much do you know?

As a motor switches on or ramps up in speed, or makes an effort to do something, like change direction, it will draw differing amounts of electricity from the battery. Sometimes the electricity is "buffered" by capacitors enough that such operations don't have a significant affect on other components in the system.

Capacitors hold charge, to be precise. I have never seen their action described as "buffering" . . until now.

Sometimes not. I don't believe that most electrical engineers could really explain to you what is going on, when memory card errors occur, considering they don't know the inner workings of either the computer chips involved, the memory card circuitry, or the entire chain of circuitry and electric motors involved in the process of a memory card error occurrence.

Not surprising, really. Electrical Engineers are versed in electrical power generation, distribution and site or building wiring.

Then there's the software/firmware to think about. How are power issues handled in the system, with regard to software processes? As you are well aware, the systems are incredibly complex and unpredictable . . . even by the best analysts, whether they are scientists or not. Then add the possibility of crud on the contacts of the battery, the memory card, or the contacts in the camera. Even NASA can't predict such things. It's like trying to predict where a hurricane will go next. All the supercomputers in the world analyzing all the thousands of data points from surface and sub-surface sensors on the ocean and land, satellite imagery, and even the data collected from weather balloons won't make it possible to be certain of the prediction(s) that might be made.

Scot, you are entitled to have your opinions, of course. It's when they get posted as implicit facts that others, less knowledgeable than our good selves, can become misinformed.

This is why you need to be a witch doctor, like me, to know these things Ted.

LOL

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Ted

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD15 +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow