35mm prime for group shots

Started Jan 21, 2015 | Discussions thread
PatMann
PatMann Senior Member • Posts: 1,462
Try DXO software to minimize wide-angle distortion of faces in corners

I would say that 35mm is the widest I would use for group shots. The stretching of faces (and bodies) into wider ovals at the edges and corners of the field begins to become significant at 35mm perspective. You can minimize this a little by having people at the sides face the lens directly rather than facing straight forward, and having them turn their bodies inward toward the center of the group so they are not exaggerated so much into fat people by the perspective distortion.

There is also a software tool in DXO that distorts the image specifically for this purpose by adding barrel distortion with a little cylindrical compensation in the center oval of the frame. This tends to compensate for the flattening and widening caused by the wideangle perspective and eliminates the stretched appearance of faces at the edges and corners, though it does noticeably distort straight lines if that's important in your picture. There was a free trial period for this software at the time I used it - perhaps there still is.

-- hide signature --

Pat

PatMann's gear list:PatMann's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow