I’ve sold all my mirrorless gear, and gone back to Canon

Started Jan 16, 2015 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
walkaround Senior Member • Posts: 2,551
I’ve sold all my mirrorless gear, and gone back to Canon

I see several threads about people dropping Canon/Nikon, getting on the mirrorless bandwagon, and I just wanted to offer a counterpoint.

I was a happy 60D and 5D owner. Then after too much time spent in the fever swamps of dpreview and stevehuffphoto, I became obsessed with camera size. Power of suggestion? Yeah, my neck did hurt! I became obsessed with Leica... which I can’t afford, so it became a quest for the ‘poor man’s Leica’. Micro four thirds got to a point where the jpegs looked as good as my 60D. I jumped, sold all my dslr stuff. Bought a GX1, then an E-PL5, then a NEX-5R. The next three years I struggled with:

- resorting to manual focus lenses and adapters due to missing basic focal lengths (and by basic I mean Olympus had no 50mm equiv at the time, and sony FE still doesn’t. 55mm is not 50mm)

- fiddly teeny tiny buttons and switches, and I have small hands.

- junk kit zooms, or $1000+ “Zeiss” lenses. There is no in between.

- size that’s too big to pocket, so you need this small body/large lens camera on a strap anyway... where is the benefit?

- arguing with Sony fanboys who tell you with a straight face that f/4 lenses are in keeping with the mirrorless philosophy, and I don’t need f/2.8...

- Oly/Sony/Panny, the worst camera user interfaces I’ve ever had to deal with. Hidden menus, bugs, tiny unreadable fonts, ESL menu descriptions.

- focusing inferior to my Canon S110

I’ve had it, no longer care about the Sony “roadmap”. I’m no longer going to read reviews by hipsters here and elsewhere that avoid touchy issues like jpeg quality, AF, pricing, and ergonomics in Olympus and Fuji cameras.

I bought my 70D today, 20mm f2.8, 28mm f1.8, and I feel like I’m home again. (Both lenses together cost less than the Sony 24mm Zeiss that started me on this tirade)

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD elfroggio
MAC
MAC
MAC
MOD elfroggio
MAC
(unknown member)
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow