what zoom for travel?

Started Jan 15, 2015 | Discussions thread
Dimes Regular Member • Posts: 382
Re: what zoom for travel?

xcentricphoto wrote:

currently using a 24-105 on my 5D3, which is great, but heavy and a little restricted for travel.

Currently enjoying the fixed lens of the Fuji 100S too, and wanting excellent image quality but a bit more range, so whats the best zoom compromise to get better than compact quality without breaking the bank?

is the 24-105 the best bet, or has anyone tried things like the Tamron (or other alternatives) to get extended zoom range without having to carry a host of lenses? Don't get me wrong, if I'm going out to take photos then I don't mind taking more gear, but mostly I'm out doing other stuff or with family or travelling and so need a simpler package.....

24-105 is the best travel lens in terms of focal length. 24-70 f/2.8 II has better IQ and wider aperture, but is significantly shorter. Basically these are the two only alternatives if we are talking about just one zoom lens for travelling.

There are decent 18-200 and 15-85 lenses on the market, they are for EF-S though.

Dimes's gear list:Dimes's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow