What's a good lens to shoot indoor volleyball?

Started Nov 1, 2014 | Questions thread
wasserball Veteran Member • Posts: 4,396
Re: What's a good lens to shoot indoor volleyball?

Most likely you will not be allowed to use a flash. I use a combination of a 70-200mm f2.8 VR1 on D600 or D3s, depending on whether I need a higher burst for more important games. Next year, since I have access to entire floor unless a bitchy referee defines a no shoot zone, I am going to use the 85mm f1.8 as I found this lens to be lighter which gives me quicker respond necessary for shooting volleyball. The photos from this playoff game: the nervous novice referee wouldn't allow me to shoot from the back wall, which I found unusual because it is far behind the back out of bound line.  The girls couldn't possibly run back there to save a shot.   Later in the game, the cheerleaders all positioned themselves there. I just let it go instead of embarrassing the referee for her illogical decision.

Focus speed is critical in volleyball since the ball is traveling fast and you are a short distance away. Because the strategy of the game is so predictable, you may want to try to manually focus to where you think the block or the spike will take place if your camera is slow to focus. The other option is to auto focus a spot, lock the focus using the AE-L/AF-L button or use the AF-ON button if your camera has one.

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
csn
csn
csn
csn
csn
csn
csn
csn
csn
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow