D810: battery life

Started Dec 26, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Osvaldo Cristo
Osvaldo Cristo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,421
D810: battery life

By the specs you would expect 1,200 shots (CIPA standard) and 3,860 shots (Nikon standard) from a single fully charged EN-EL15 battery.

I do not like to empty any of my batteries (actually the internal protection circuits will never allow the battery goes completely empty) so usually I estimated the battery life according the number the shots I had made and the percentage of remaining charge: for my own shot style I had estimate my figures closer to Nikon´s than the CIPA´s one.

Some time ago I decided to go to a real test. After five weeks, for the first time, I allowed a D810 battery to go empty (again, virtually empty as its protection circuits does not allow that). After five weeks I believe some of the battery juice was wasted as leakage, but the fact is I got 3,850 shots from a single EN-EL15. Tripod mode, fast action, low light, mostly raw files but some JPEGs also. Some review at LCD and some browsing in the menu system to configure the camera accordingly.

Although I have no intention to go again to the limit of the battery, it is good to have a clear idea of its lifespan based on actual data of my own shooting. Interestingly I bought two spares (my default when I purchase any camera with a battery type I do not own previously) and I won another third part spare from B&H when I bought the camera...

All the best,

-- hide signature --

O.Cristo - An Amateur Photographer
Opinions of men are almost as various as their faces - so many men so many minds. B. Franklin

Osvaldo Cristo's gear list:Osvaldo Cristo's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon D810 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +32 more
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow