Advice requested on upgrade to budget FX from D300

Started Dec 24, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RyanMichael New Member • Posts: 20
Advice requested on upgrade to budget FX from D300

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to finally upgrade my D300, after a less than satisfying shoot last night.  I mostly shoot events; last night I attempted to shoot some carolers, it was quite dark, and to get a reasonable shutter speed I was at f1.8, ISO 6400, underexposing by 2/3 stop (I have off camera flash, but had nothing to bounce the flash off of).  The results made me sad lol.  So I think it's time to seriously consider an upgrade, as more and more I often find myself in these types of situations.

As much as I'd like a D750, currently I'm considering a pre-owned D600 or D700, as those are both in my price range.  What I'm most interested in is better high ISO performance which has certainly been well documented, but also, the ability to pull up decent info from the shadows, as I routinely have to underexpose to get workable shutter speeds to freeze action, etc.  Also what is very important to me is AF accuracy; I'll take a noisy pic that is in focus over a cleaner one that is out of focus.  Finally, I also want to switch to FX because often when using my lenses, 80mm and 50mm are a bit too close at the wide end, and having FX would really be like having a new set of lenses

Re: the glass that I have, I mostly use mid-range glass, mostly FX lenses.  Usually I use:

Nikkor 80-200 2.8D (great lens, no VR)
Nikkor 50 1.8D
Sigma 28-70 2.8 D (soft w/ a backfocus problem, usable w/ contrast detect focus stopped down)
Sigma 10-20
Nikkor 24-120 3.5-5.6 VR (surprisingly good, I must have scored a good copy)
Nikkor 18-70 3.5-4.5 DX (kit lens)
Rokinon 8mm FE
3rd party 1.7x TC for emergencies

From what I understand, the 12MP of the D700 will be more forgiving of my midrange glass - how much so in practice?  Being able to use the D600 in DX mode is something I'm keeping in mind as well.  As an alternative, I'm considering a D7000 since they are so cheap, pairing it with a 35 1.8 DX lens, then saving for something like a pre-owned D750.  Also, I'd be fine having using both DX and FX cameras at the same time, I always carry two bodies anyway (my current backup is the lovely Fuji S5 pro).  Any advice is very much appreciated

Nikon D300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
KSV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow