Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G SSM II w/ A99 for weddings - HELP

Started Dec 17, 2014 | Questions thread
Calico Jack Senior Member • Posts: 2,306
Re: why such a zoom?

Roses wrote:

enemjii wrote:

Pardon me as I am no wedding photog, but why would you require such a large zoom for weddings? I woulda thunk that you would be shooting portraits for most part anyways and the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 might just work well. The bokeh on this one is so similar to the beer can. Smooth and creamy, just more of it. Like a lindt milk chocolate.

That said, you would have no latitude to shoot close by either of these lenses. You would still need something like a 16-50 f/2.8 to take care of the group pictures.

The longer zoom has a different "look," which can be flattering to features. People recommend 95-135mm on full-frame as more "ideal" for portraits.

Also 16-50mm f/2.8 is only for APSC. It's a great lens though. We have that and the Tamron 70-200mm/2.8 for A77II, which will cover most focal lengths.

Ahoy!

A99/A850/A900 are dual format bodies so can use APS-C lenses, though on A850/A900 this means files are around 11MP, though if the A99 has a similar viewfinder to the A850/A900, you use the inner rectangle to frame in APS-C mode.

For the OP. As for WA FF lenses, the Minolta/Tamron AF 17-35mm F/2.8-4 or the Tokina AF 19-35 or 20-35mm would be worth a look and are all FF, but the Minolta/Tamron IMHO do not compare to the likes of the Tamron AF 17-50/2.8 Di-II LD or Sigma 17-70 DC Macro, though if you have the funds, check out the Minolta AF 17-35mm F/3.5 G.  Otherwise go to the home of the A-Mount (Dyxum) and do a lens search.  This is assuming you want that level of width, otherwise you could consider the Minolta AF 28-135mm F/4-4.5 Macro (Secret Handshake) but it has a long MFD, so if you need to get up close and personal, it won't do that, but if 1.5 metres or more is OK, then the IQ is darned excellent as it's super sharp with buttery smooth bokeh and produces classic Minolta colours, though you can get the MFD down to 246mm in Macro mode though the zoom range is minimal and it doesn't have a lens hood, though you can get a triple-threaded reversible MATIN hood on evilBay (do a worldwide search.  They ship from South Korea and are very cheap and do an excellent job) or maybe a rubber collapsible type.  I only mention the hood as the lens may otherwise be prone to flare.

Worth checking the lenses on Dyxum and the hood on evilbay.

-- hide signature --

Mark (aka Pirate!)

Calico Jack's gear list:Calico Jack's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony DT 11-18mm F4.5-5.6 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +26 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow