NX1 AF Performance part 1

Started Dec 14, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,147
NX1 AF Performance part 1

I am getting more familiar with the NX1 AF, using CAF is sort of new to me so getting used to its quirks.  First tip is shoot JPG, RAW files fill the card much too fast at high frame rates, and you will fill the buffer quickly.

The first is that when using multi area focus, you really have to watch what is in the focus field area. You can press "ok" and use the top command dial to make the area smaller, but it is still fairly large (not small enough to fit between the ropes below. If there is something high contrast in your focus area, it will certainly pick it before your subject, for example the ropes in front or behind my daughter on the swing. It would have been better to use the single area focus here.

Another big tip is get further back, if you are standing 3 feet from a swinging person, you are asking too much of any AF system. This is where the more telephoto lens helps to get you further back.

The first shot is one of the few good shots (cropped and edited, ooc jpeg), the second shot shows how most of the other 200 looked. Again, this is me learning and using a focus mode which didn't work for my subject. Not indicative of the focus performance yet. I think it will do better with a more isolated subject (say racing cars, motorbikes, etc).

Perfect on the rope strands (those high contrast edges really attracted the AF attention).

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Samsung NX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow