Re: Canon's sensor is so inferior

Symtex wrote:

David Hull wrote:

Symtex wrote:

David Hull wrote:

Symtex wrote:

David Hull wrote:

Symtex wrote:

Unless you are doing birding or sports photography that demand really high AF speed and precision, there is no reason to use a Canon these days. I am huge Canon fanboy. I have been for the past 6-7 years. I do everything from landscape to astrophotography. Ever since I got my Sony A7r, I use less and less my Canon and more and more the mirrorless. Of course, when I go birding, I take the big camera and the big lens. For everything else, I just prefer working with the Sony. Working with Sony's raw is so much easier. Even at high iso, the noise cleans up very well compare to Canon's raw. No more nasty chromatic banding when you lift shadow.

My workflow on the field is so much faster and easier with a mirrorless camera. This is even truer when I use my TSE-24MM II. Focus peaking and EVF makes focusing takes minutes to second. I can instantly see my FOV where I am focus. I don't have to carry an remote, I can just use my smartphone and remote trigger the camera. The fact that I am no longer attach to 1 lens system is also a huge bonus. I can buy rangefinder lenses and cheap adapter. Its freedom.

They are many landscape or street photographer that have ditch their big camera for mirrorless. Its only a matter of time before the AF speed of theses camera will be better than DSLR. Its not there yet but its getting so much better every year. Canon needs to step up their game big time.

-- hide signature --

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon EF 24-105L, Tamron 150-600mm, Canon TSE-24mm II, Sony A7r, Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Flickr : https://www.flickr.com/photos/fogboundturtle/

Actually, Canon's latest sensors are every bit as good as anything Sony makes, with the exception of the a7r. The issue is that their read-out methodology does not allow them to take full advantage of it at the low end of the ISO range -- if that is important to you, then you have other alternatives.

It still has the nasty chromatic banding noise when you lift shadow. That hasn't change. Sony sensor have close to a 2 stop advantage in dynamic range. I think its time for tough love toward Canon. I love their glass, the interface and the AF but the sensor , not as much.

That's where you are making your fundamental mistake -- the sensor DR is pretty much the same when compared in equivalent systems.

-- hide signature --

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon EF 24-105L, Tamron 150-600mm, Canon TSE-24mm II, Sony A7r, Sony FE 55mm F1.8

Forget the DX0mark rating and whatever you have read on the web. Have you personally work with an Sony raw file ? I told you before. I am a huge Canon fan but working with Sony A7r files is so much easier and cleaner.

I don't own any Sony gear or Nikon gear, but I have taken a look at a few D800 RAWs that I have garnered in the process of participating in these threads. The Sony based stuff, whether from Nikon or Sony equipment clearly has a better noise floor when the ISO is minimized, hopefully, by now, nobody is arguing that (certainly not me). However, IMO there is much more to these systems than this one particular parameter and to make the statement: "Unless you are doing birding or sports photography that demand really high AF speed and precision, there is no reason to use a Canon these days" is a bit over the top and very typical of the nonsensical "Hype" that tends to surround this issue (and makes me want to respond). For most of what I have been doing over the last couple years -- predominantly event shooting (using ISOs in the 400 to 1600 range). In this sort of thing, Sony brings no real benefit.

-- hide signature --

How about weight ? You continue carrying huge bag with big lenses and intimidate anyone you come across with your huge apparatus or being more discreet, smaller lenses and get the job done. There is a lot of advantages in going mirrorless. Workflow is faster on many aspect. You can ask the Trey Ratcliff of this world why they have given up their big camera.

I am OK with loosing weight (I continually work on it myself ).  One thing though, I am not sure I like changing the form-factor and ergonomics too much.  I like the size of the 5DIII, for example, but it would be nice if it were lighter.  Whenever, I pick up a Sony, I wonder how easy it will be to use because of the grip differences etc.  I really do like the grip of the larger more traditional cameras.  That evolved for a reason.

-- hide signature --

David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow