A capable entry-level camera

Started Dec 5, 2014 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DonKofAK New Member • Posts: 3
A capable entry-level camera

My friends at Consumer Reports led me to believe the T5 and the T5i were quite similar, except for the articulating LCD which I now believe is a real convenience at times and probably worth an extra $100.

I have David Busch's book on the Rebel T5 / 1200D that tells me far more than Canon's User Manual does. It seems the T5 is a new entry level camera that does a fine job as a point-and-shoot with the option of changing lenses. While that's true, it seems the T5 has some features usually found on a higher-grade camera. The result is that I'm quite happy with this first step into DSLRs. A few weeks later, my adult son bought a Canon 70D, which I consider the upper end of the small format Canon's. I anticipate buying a 70D body in a year or two, keeping the T5 as my alternate/backup and smaller, more portable unit.

The T5 came with two lenses, the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II which is certainly adequate for most indoor uses as well as outdoor work. I suppose it would be nice to have increased wide-angle capacity for some indoor shots, but it doesn't seem worth the cost right now. The second lens, an EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II lens is pretty remarkable for the far shots, since the 1.6 factor increases it to a 400mm telephoto equivalent. This lens has done some amazing things for me; I've collected some very good images by my standards. In time, I suppose it will be "rational" for me to consider upgrading to a full-frame camera and commercial-grade lenses, but for now and the forseeable future, I'm quite happy exploring the inner workings of this relatively high-performance DSLR for those moving out of the film era.

DonKofAK's gear list:DonKofAK's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 1200D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +1 more
Canon EOS 1200D (EOS Rebel T5 / EOS Kiss X70)
18 megapixels • 3 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Feb 12, 2014
DonKofAK's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
good
Action / sports
unrated
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
unrated
Low light (without flash)
unrated
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow