Q Looses the 3-D of the M?

Started Jul 23, 2014 | Discussions thread
Lin Evans
Lin Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 17,217
Re: what's 3-D?

Hi David,

-- hide signature --

Placebo:

a. A substance containing no medication and prescribed or given to reinforce a patient's expectation to get well.b. An inactive substance or preparation used as a control in an experiment or test to determine the effectivenessof a medicinal drug.2. Something of no intrinsic remedial value that is used to appease or reassure another.

==================

The meaning of "placebo" is invalidated when unsolicited opinions are given by numerous people attending major shows such as PMA or Photokina.

There is no "expectation" of results for off-the-cuff comments at shows. It really doesn't matter in the greater scheme of things, but perceptions are really not amenable to "double blind" tests under "controlled conditions." Everything doesn't fall under the dominion of science. It's much as with art - people either like it or they don't and the reasons may be far too complex to sort out with charts, graphs and tables. One must simply accept that not everything is quantifiable.

Best regards,

Lin

DMillier wrote:

The Foveon is a little bit different (both good and bad) but I agree that some seem to inflate this to the land of magic.

It's very old territory now, but it would still be interesting to see a proper double blind test under proper controlled conditions to explore what, if anything, Foveon does for people when all the preconceptions and biases are removed.

I'm not very enamoured of the earlier Foveon cameras I have, but for me the DP2M seems to have a bit of sparkle for some very particular use cases. I'd love to know for sure whether that feeling is derived from a true difference or whether it is all placebo...

-- hide signature --

"...while I am tempted to bludgeon you, I would rather have you come away with an improved understanding of how these sensors work" ---- Eric Fossum
Galleries and website: http://www.whisperingcat.co.uk/
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidmillier/

Lin Evans's gear list:Lin Evans's gear list
Olympus E-10
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow