I tested DL 109!

Started Nov 26, 2014 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
l_objectif
l_objectif Forum Pro • Posts: 21,401
I tested DL 109!

After owning D-Lux 3, 4 and 5, I was hoping, like many others, for D-Lux 6 to have a 1" sensor as it was being rumored so many times. But I was very disappointed when DL 6 was announced with the same small sensor; and, as I did not find much improvement from DL5, I did not upgrade to "6"!

I was hoping for a portable with a bigger sensor and the MFT system started appearing to me more and more interesting, although not so "Portable"! With Panasonic GX and the GM cameras, many of us started dreaming for a Leica version. But instead, we saw the gorgeous "T" which was larger, with a bigger sensor than MFT; but also way more expensive! The idea of controlling your whole camera and your photography by touching the LCD did not appear very "photographic" to many. We also read many reviews complaining about the focusing of this new and "avant-garde" system!

LX100/D-Lux 109 became as a wonderful surprise for many of us. Not only because it had a MFT sensor, but also and above all, the fact that Leica finally had accepted the idea of a MFT sensor despite everything that we have been reading for years about Leica not being interested in that!

I was privileged to be one of the first people who receiving and testing this new camera; and, I was delighted!

IMHO, the differences between 109 and previous D-Lux cameras are very important. First; the sensor: it is a MFT sensor (according to some, the same as GX7) and even though the entire surface is not being used due to the "image ratio" of D-Lux, it is still huge comparing to other DL cameras; and, much bigger than 1" sensor that many of us were wishing for!... This may explain why Leica did not make any version of GX or GM!

Then, the lens that is working so nicely with that sensor. As the result, we have a much better IQ with much better DR and colors.

The other importance difference with previous D-Lux is the EVF that I really find excellent. You can use this camera almost like a DSLR.

Although I am not a user of the video, the 4K is extremely helpful if you wish to catch an action and use one frame as a in high resolution still.

Other features that many would appreciate are the in-camera stitching to create a panorama and in-camera HDR. two features that many modern cameras already have.

Of course, all these changes make 109 much bigger than other DL cameras and it is not becoming very "pocketable" anymore; but it surely is a very interesting and a very enjoyable one!

My very first test with D-Lux 109:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54810222

l_objectif's gear list:l_objectif's gear list
Leica D-LUX 3 Leica D-LUX 4 Leica D-LUX 5 Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D300 +12 more
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109)
13 megapixels • 3 screen • 24 – 75 mm (3.1×)
Announced: Sep 15, 2014
l_objectif's score
Average community score
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow