Maybe leaving 7D Mark II at home

Started Nov 20, 2014 | Discussions thread
fiddleplayer
fiddleplayer Regular Member • Posts: 118
Re: Maybe leaving 7D Mark II at home

I have a 70D and my wife as a T5i. I looked at reviews of both of them plus comparisons of the 70D with the 7D before upgrading to them from a series of fixed lens but versatile Lumix cameras that I used for the last 10 years. I find the 70D (and the Rebel) are perfect for family shooting - especially because of the flip out viewfinder which is great for video and over the head shooting - the kind of thing you wind up doing in family style photo shooting. I didn't see much advantage to the 7D other than rapid shot speed - and the OP's original post didn't indicate a huge need for that - so why take the 7d instead of the 70D? - FWIW, I don't think I would trade my 70D for a 7D.

Although I have several great zoom lenses, including a 15-85mm, I find the little 40mm pancake lens is the most useful lens I have for family (read - babies and other grandchildren) indoors without flash - even for video. It surprised me, but I find it more versitile than than the 50mm 1.4 and sharper indoors than the zooms with larger (i.e., higher f/stop number) aperture.

fiddleplayer's gear list:fiddleplayer's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow