Curious about K-3 prices

Started Nov 13, 2014 | Discussions thread
Richard Murdey
Richard Murdey Senior Member • Posts: 2,704
Re: Curious about K-3 prices

panasonicpentax wrote:

mgm2 wrote:

With all due respect, how would you know the K3 doesn't sell? The camera division at Ricoh is making money so they are obviously selling sufficient cameras at acceptable margins to turn a profit.

Because the limited-edition silver K3s are still available. There was only supposed to be 1500 of them made and I expected them to be all pre-sold before the release date. I ordered one the day after it was announced and I was worried I wouldn't get one. Now, more than a year later, they are still offered for sale, with only a tiny premium over the equivalent black kit.

The K-3 limited edition is sold out in Japan (though not too hard to find used), but available on the US web store. There were only 2000 available worldwide.

I suppose the 2000 units were pre-divided by region (naturally, as the printed material would be region specific) and Japan (again naturally) quickly bought up their share while other regions were (naturally) not as interested.

ON, K-30 is ranked 6th for ILC sales, K-3 body 12th, K-5iis body 28th. The K-3 is on a par, sales-wise, with the D5300 double lens kit (11th) and Olympus OMD-EM10 kit (13th).

(link is live, so data only reflects what I wrote above at the time I wrote it)

Richard Murdey's gear list:Richard Murdey's gear list
Nikon D750 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow