Making sense of Micro Four Thirds lenses

Started Nov 20, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Samuel Dilworth
Samuel Dilworth Regular Member • Posts: 270
Making sense of Micro Four Thirds lenses

I ignored Micro Four Thirds until recently, so forgive me for not knowing what’s what. I’m now considering a small Micro Four Thirds system to use alongside my SLR system. Still at the dreaming stage.

It seems Olympus and Panasonic are in the process of updating the look of their lenses. At any rate, the designs aren’t consistent. For example:

• the Panasonic 12-25 mm f/2.8 and 35-100 mm f/2.8 are styled liked the original 20 mm f/1.7 (since replaced)
  • the Olympus 9-18 mm is styled like some lenses that have been replaced
  • Olympus PRO zooms have a new, technical look unlike the other zooms
  • some Olympus lenses have distance scales, but most don’t
  • some Olympus primes are metal; some are plastic
  • the Olympus 17 mm f/2.8 looks unlike other Olympus primes
  • some Olympus lenses are available in black or silver, but some black lenses are special edition
  • some Panasonic lenses have aperture rings, but most don’t
  • some Panasonic lenses have something about 240 fps in the blurb: why? I thought any differences there would be on the camera side.

Is there any rhyme or reason to all this? For example, can we expect Olympus to release in the future a metal 25 mm with a distance scale like the 12 mm f/2 and 17 mm f/1.8?

I am most interested in small primes in the 9 to 25 mm range. I’d rather not buy a lens that’s just about to be cosmetically or more seriously updated, and I’d like to plan focal lengths to fit around my first lens.

Thanks!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJN
GBC
K25
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow