FZ1000 video and H6Zoom sound

Started Nov 19, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bruggeling New Member • Posts: 18
FZ1000 video and H6Zoom sound

Hi folks,

I am very involved in choral music.  So I record a lot of singing...  The sound of the built-in microphones of cameras is not fantastic, you can hear all kind of camera noises, handling as well as the IS and zoom.

So I normally use the H6Zoom digital recorder for the sound. As I normally work with several cameras I had never connected the H6Zoom directly to any camera.  This takes some work afterward : when editing you have to sync the video and the sound.  This can't be avoided if you want to use different cameras of course.

For rehearsal purposes I wanted to use only 1 camera, so it would have been nice to have a perfect sound in the camera (to avoid editing), so last night I decided to connect the H6Zoom line-out to the microphone-input in of the FZ1000.

This turned out to be problematic.  Even with the H6Zoom set to very low volumes, the FZ1000 goes into overmodulation.  I set the volume control of the FZ1000 to -12db (the absolute minimum) and even then I was not able to turn the volume of the H6Zoom to a normal level (the level that would record a normal volume on the H6Zoom SD card), I had to turn down the volume to 2, whereas 6 to 8 would record a normal sound on the digital recorder.

Even then I had to put it into video editing software and turn the volume down another 5 db !  The result is on YouTube, hope you can stand it to hear me singing it still goes into overmodulation on minute 1:48.

The thing that I don't know : is the line-out compatible with the microphone-input, and is it advisable to use it like that (although that is the way it is proposed in the H6Zoom manual)

TIA

JP

Bruggeling's gear list:Bruggeling's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow