Great lens at it's price point!

Started Nov 17, 2014 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Vincent65
Vincent65 New Member • Posts: 3
Great lens at it's price point!

I have used the Nikon AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR (FX format lens) with my Nikon D7100 (DX format camera) for a couple of years now, and I am quite pleased with it.

The lens has primarily been used at indoor swim meets, and I have had some good results. Due to its plastic construction the lens is light, it is fast focussing, and it is pretty sharp in the mid-range (100-200mm)! The zoom is a tad sticky, and I have had the lens occasionally search in auto-focus, likely due to low (indoor pool) light conditions. Generally the autofocus is fast and precise. I have had some water splashes on the lens barrel with no affect to it's performance. Other than swim meets, I have taken some nice images of surfers and the occasional bird.

Osprey hovering above it's nest

butterfly - one of many swim meet images

*RAW images were post processed with Lightroom

Especially for swim meets I would love to try the Nikon AFS 70-200MM F2.8 VR, but at 4+ times the cost, I think what I have, has done the trick quiet well. For the price, the Nikon AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR has not disappointed me!

Vincent65's gear list:Vincent65's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR
Telephoto zoom lens • Nikon F (FX) • 2161
Announced: Aug 9, 2006
Vincent65's score
Average community score
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow