Low light photography and EM10

Started Nov 14, 2014 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
LollipopUK
LollipopUK Forum Member • Posts: 56
Low light photography and EM10

I'm familiarising myself with the Olympus EM10 with kit lens, and trying to find the best settings for different scenarios.

I'm getting a bit unstuck with indoors low light photography, though. I realise that the kit lens has limitations and I'd get better results with a prime, but at the moment that's not an option.

So I'd really like some advice about how to achieve better photos in low light situations, primarily how to freeze motion so subjects (mainly children) aren't blurred. What settings do you recommend?

When I choose shutter priority and try to select a higher shutter speed (say 160 or higher), the F number of 3.5 flashes to show that the image won't be exposed correctly. I can lower the shutter speed, but will that mean that motion will be too visible? Is there anyway to solve this? What's the best shutter speed for indoors photography?

If I push the ISO up, it has to go really high before the f number stops blinking, but then I feel noise is going to be unacceptable. What are opinions on an acceptable top ISO with the EM10?

I doubt it'll be possible to completely freeze motion, but it would help to know what is achievable with the lens I have. I want to ensure I'm not missing something obvious.

Thanks very much for any advice you can give.

LollipopUK's gear list:LollipopUK's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow