Shooting wedding with primes only

Started Aug 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 10,154
Re: Shooting wedding with primes only

Deardorff wrote:

Guess a lot of us must be fooling ourselves in having used Hasselblads with 50/60mm lens, 80mm lens and 150mm lens to shoot weddings.

Two or three bodies. Extra film backs. Solid pro strobes and light setups.

Zooms are fine if you like them but not necessary.

Most weddings could be done well with 10-20 rolls of film. No one really needs 2,000 images to do the job unless they are insecure with themselves.

On primes, I agree. And, yes, a wedding obviously can be done with just a few hundred shots, and done well. But, the "insecure" jab is unnecessary.

There are different styles of wedding photography. If you're only doing set-up shots, you could get by with 10-20 rolls. But, if you're doing a lot of candids, and a lot of different situations, that's not going to fly. Reportage-style work has caught on with clients in the past 10 years in part because it's now possible to do it without incurring huge film costs.

I just shot 2100 photos at a wedding yesterday. My competition in this city is all about set-ups and fantasy. I'm all about candids. My clients flew me in from abroad and paid me three times the local rate specifically because they wanted to capture the real emotion, the action, and the behind-the-scenes moments.

You can see some examples of my work in Central Asia, and judge for yourself whether a brick of film would do it, here:

http://www.jacquescornell.photography/dilnoza_and_abdugaffor

-- hide signature --

The way to make a friend is to act like one.
www.jacquescornell.photography

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +29 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SBS
SBS
BAK
SBS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow